Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Elder Carson's Second Week!

Hola, amigos! 
 
LESSON 1: Cherish the temple. Just after e-mailing yall last week, I had the opportunity to go to the Mexico City Temple with my district and one other. It was a wonderful experience and a truly beautiful place. Fun fact: the Mexico City Temple is the largest temple outside the US! Anyway, for some reason, going through the temple ENTIRELY in Spanish made it feel like I was going through for the first time. I saw the people there, and it was obvious that they treasured the opportunity they had to be in the Lord's house. The Spirit was so strong, and seeing my fellow missionaries all together in the Celestial Room almost made me shed a tear. Too great. 
 
LESSON 2: Investing in your investigators is so worth it. We finished teaching Alejandra (the first investigator) and got two more that we'll be working with for the next four weeks. On our first appointment with Sara, we asked her questions about her family life, interests, and church affiliation, and as a result, she opened up to us when the time for sharing a message naturally came along. Our other investigator, Regina, had a different experience. She's a lawyer, so when she started being abrupt with us, we panicked and tried to jump straight into the lesson. The whole meeting had a more defensive feeling to it. 
 
LESSON 3: WRITE IN YOUR JOURNAL DAILY. I don't care if you need to start a new one today, it is worth it. Looking back on my journal entries from the past two weeks, it's amazing to see how far I've come and all the things I've learned. That feeling of satisfaction will only come if you make an effort to remember the important things in life.
 
-------------------------
 
So, apparently name-tag robbery is a thing?? Not for real, but within the district. We like to see if we can grab our fellow Elders' name-tags without them noticing. It was hard at first, but then I developed a technique where you come up from behind and reach under their arm. It worked for a solid three days before everyone got way too paranoid. 
 
One lunch this week, we had chicken wings, which was fantastic. Most of us got three helpings cause we were all starving. My companion got like six. He's nuts. After we were all nice and stuffed, we piled all the bones onto ONE PLATE, and the very sight of Chicken-Bone Mountain inspired genius in us. Somehow, we convinced one of the Hermanas in our district (Hna. Flores - also Cancun-bound!) to take that plate up to the counter and ask for more wings. When the cook saw her plate, his eyes got huge and I think I saw him stumble backwards a few steps. Everyone at our table was dying of laughter. Needless to say, she didn't get more wings. 
 
Since I last wrote, we've been visited by the Area Seventy and Bonnie L. Oscarson. I gotta say, the Area Seventy was super entertaining. He told us funny stories, one of which included the line "Spider-Man doesn't wear a tie!" Great stuff. I like the attention we get from General Authorities here at the CCM. 
 
Anyway, it's about that time... there's probably a good story I'll be kicking myself for not sharing, but next time I'll bring my journal into the computer lab so I remember it all. Time moves fast. Everything's a blur X). 
 
Stay faithful, my friends. [Insert more missionary humor], 
 
- Elder Drewski Carson 
 
Yup, here it is. 
 
Low-key studying in paradise right now. 
 
Look, my companions and I are festive! *crickets*
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment