Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 7 in the field!

Okay, people, this one´s interesting. 

Lot´s of stuff happened, but I´m typing on a rather sticky keyboard, so we´ll see how much I get out. 

LECCION DE LA SEMANA: ALWAYS pray to have the strength to follow the guidance of the Lord. Aligning your will with the Lord´s is a lot harder when you don´t expect to have to. This week, after I told you all that we were going to stay in the area Chac Mool 1, there were emergency changes, putting E. Melena and I in Palmas 2 - just about the biggest area in the zone. It´s the first time either of us has changed, so neither of us really knew what to do. In addition, we said rushed goodbyes to our investigators, which was surprisingly difficult. I think I had put it solidly in my mind that we were going to stay another 6 weeks, and for that reason, it was much harder to get the phone call. 

Now, we´re here, adjusting, and still loving the missionary work. But who knows what the Lord will ask us to do next? Next time, I´m going to be better prepared!! :D I hope all of you, too, will include in your prayers a request to be sensitive to the will of the Lord and strong enough to follow it. When you do so, the Lord will magnify you and show you where He wants you to go and what He wants you to do. Your life will be blessed. 

----------

There´s been some unrest in Mexico!! Gasoline prices are on the rise and apparently people in Mexico City have been protesting and getting crazy. SO, the presidency of the church over Mexico sent out new regulations. We have to be in the house by 9:00 at the LATEST. We also have to avoid shopping malls and gas stations if at all possible. I also suspect that this is the reason for the emergency change. Palmas 2 is a little more dangerous than Chac Mool and I imagine President Reynoso didn´t want the Hermanas here. 

I got sick!!! Woohoo! First time in the mish - I managed to survive almost three months without the bug, but when it came, it came! I had a night that was comically bad.... let´s not talk about that. I´m taking medicine now and it´s helping.

On our first day in the new area, we were doing a bit of exploring and it started pouring. DUMPING CATS AND DOGS AND ELEPHANTS. I was a bit preoccupied with not stepping in potholes full of water that I didn´t pay attention to the top of a goal post at head-height. WHAM. Oh, it was glorious to watch, I´m sure. I went airborne and landed in a puddle like the cartoon-iest of cartoons. It hurt, but I was too busy thinking of how I could relate that to the Gospel afterwards to care... 

That same night, we were walking back to the house when a man called to us. It looked safe and well-lit where he was, so we went over to him. Turns out, this guy (named Jorge) was a recent investigator of the hermanas who just left! They didn´t leave us with any way to contact him (no teaching record) so it was a tender mercy that he found us!

Jeremías (de Chac Mool) accepted a baptismal date the day before we left for Palmas! Woohoo! Now it´s up to the Hermanas (previously here in Palmas) to follow up. If he keeps progressing, we´ll get to see him again! Because E. Melena is the District Leader and so he´ll do the interview. 

Annnnnd once again, everyone, we´re in a place that won´t accept my SD card, sooo I´m gonna have to think about what to do about pictures.... I may have to lend the card to a member so they can send photos. But for the meantime, I guess I´m the faceless Elder!

Love you all. Keep pressing forward and the Lord will provide. 

Elder Carson.

1 comment:

  1. I think your "lesson" for us this week is the one I pray hardest and longest about. I actually think that most folks (especially members) pray to know the will of the Lord in their lives. It's the next part that I tend to struggle with (as I think do most mortals, but maybe I'm just trying to let myself off the hook here)is the acceptance of it...just as it comes, not as I would like to "tweak it". Don't most of us think that, if we pray with faith and real intent, that the direction will be, more or less, the direction we want to go. Sometimes, it's not far off, but sometimes, it's so different that we wonder if we asked the right question. One of the hardest things as a new member was coming to the realization that just because there is a Prophet on the earth and Ya'all have more truth, that we are still mortals, no one is perfect, and the walk is just that...a walk, from one pothole to the next. Some are deeper and filled with more water than others. I love that your focus was not the pothole, but on how you could turn the experience into a metaphor to teach your message (both to self and others). I will remember that picture in my mind (even without a literal one this week). So, I have been taught another little gem to add to my treasure chest with your name on it. Keep walking, I love you.

    ReplyDelete