Monday, April 17, 2017

Week 21 In The Field!

My dearest comrades:

I write to inform you that the mission of this past week was executed successfully, and that all prized objectives (new investigators, lessons taught, service rendered) were recovered. The sun tried to hinder our advance, but we emerged victorious over all. 

LECCIÓN DE LA SEMANA: Service really does open hearts. This week was tough, but we pushed through, staying consistent with the little parts of missionary work so that the results would show. On top of those things, we decided to make a concentrated effort to help a brotha out - or, even better, lots of brothas. 

In one incident, we visited with a family of new investigators (the family of Victor Hugo) who had previously commented on the difficulties they were having paying for the various parts of life. We brought tortillas, beans, cream, cheese, and eggs to their house and got cooking. The product - valeadas, a simple but tasty and traditional dish of Honduras. The recipe was courtesy of my dear son, elder Coello, and they turned out well. The wife of Victor, who had never up to that point opened her mouth to say a word in our direction, finally seemed to accept our presence and started asking us about missionary life. After eating our food, we sat down and had a activity with all the little chamacos (kids) about the Holy Ghost and its importance. She participated and laughed and stuff! It was awesome. 

--------------------------- 

Last week on PDay, after writing, the six elders of Palmas went to the cave to check out the view! There were lots of bats and it smelled bad! Fun stuff. 

During the week, E. Coello wanted to test my ingenuity, so he locked the keys (accidentally) in the house. I guess my ingenuity wasn't quite up to par, because I ended up having to call the zone leaders, who (fortunately) have copies of the house keys. We had a nice little reunion and were able to sleep in our house that night. 

One of our investigators, Felipe Rodriguez, gave us some food to eat when we visited him a few days ago. Included was a plate of peppers that I assumed to be tame (because they weren't habanero). HA. Not tame. Definitely not tame. I discovered that it is VERY different to eat a SALSA made from pepper than to CHEW a pepper straight-up. They were only serranos, but they were pain-flavored serranos. 

Whaddya know? after that, I got a throat infection and had to go to the doctor. She found a weird white thing in my mouth... I think it was an alien. Anyway, she gave me like six medicines that all taste like the lost hopes and dreams of small children. Now I'm all better :D 

Elder Coello wanted to test my emergency response skills, so he left a pot of beans cooking while we went to visit someone in the morning (I had no idea) and when we got back, the house was filled with smoke! It was awesome. And, just to be a punk, the alarm decided to sound just AFTER we opened the door. It still smells bad, but we're recovering. I love my little hondureño companion. Haha.  

That'll be all for this week. There were a lot of other cool things that happened, but I'll leave it for fireside discussion when I get back. I hope you're all enjoying your lives over there in the states. I've got the good end of the deal right now!! Bwahaha! Stay strong and spirichal - the best life is the faithful one. 

Love, 
Elder Carson

---------------------------


Annnnnd it's not the computer - it's definitely the card-reader.... aghhhhh. No photos this week! That's alright - y'all need a break from my face anyways XD 

No comments:

Post a Comment