Monday, December 12, 2016

WEEK 3 IN THE CAMPO-FIELD-THINGY (I just can't English)


Hola, dearest friends,

This week has been wonderfully uplifting, inspiring, difficult, easy, hungry, full to the brim, and all sorts of everything. I want to share a LECCION DE LA SEMANA because out here in the campo-field-thingy, there´s less dedicated study time and more DOING. Having a single leccion de la semana will give me more time to tell you what´s actually happening around here. I hope. 

LECCION DE LA SEMANA: Patience is infinitely important. 
My companion is wonderful. I love him. BUT he definitely bugs me at times. He likes to make the decisions, and that poses a problem to a new missionary whose primary learning mechanism is making decisions and experiencing the consequences. I had one day where I reacted to this conflict in a rather typical manner (my parents could tell you about it), and I gotta say, that was not a great day. We didn´t have as much success and we couldn´t agree on what to do or how to do it. I went to bed that night feeling rather gross. The next day, though, I determined to change my approach. I was reminded of Bishop Payne and how he wished all us priests a hard companion so that they would learn how to deal with conflict. I asked myself what the Savior would do, and then spent the day LISTENING to my companion, asking questions, respecting his experience, and offering relatively humble suggestions. It was hard because I wanted to see things done my way, but when I had the patience to put off my desires for the greater good - to have the Spirit in the companionship - we were able to teach in unity and have more success. 

Think about it, guys. Where do you find yourselves impatient? Dedicate yourself to being patient for ONE WEEK and compare your experience with the norm. If you feel like it, shoot me an e-mail with your results. :) 

-------------------------------

FIRST BAPTISM, YO! Her name is Gabby, she´s fifteen, and despite the fact that she was already baptized (discovering only recently that her records magically don´t exist), the Spirit was super duper strong during the service. She was glowing when she came back into the room.

YAY ESSENTIAL ORDINANCES!
 
We´ve been drenched with rain twice now!! Turns out, the weather is just as mercilessly unpredictable as I had heard! The first time, the storm brought us to the door of Miguel Angel, a promising investigator who´s read a ton of the Book of Mormon already (I think I told you last time). The second time, we had just finished a correlation meeting with the ward mission leader, Hno. Angel (lots of Miguels, Angels, Miguel Angels, Miguel Lopez Angel Cortezes...) and we had to sprint back to the casa to make it home on time. 
 
Just... why.
 
---------------------------------

WELCOME TO ANIMAL PLANET. Lots of creatures here, of all sorts. 
 
Roosters everywhere!! Also, dogs and cats that look like they´re starving.


Big ol´ iguana under a crack in the sidewalk. 

Found in a dirty dish when we woke up.... que triste.
 
Not pictured: locusts six inches long, THE SPEEDY GECKO (DARN IT, IM GON´ CATCH ´IM), the cucaracha, and A TARANTULA that we found sticking outside an investigator´s house. I didn´t have my camera, unfortunately. BUT I touched it. 

------------------------------------------------
  
AND NOW, for the food network.
 
Things I´ve LOVED here:
  • Carnitas
  • Pombasas (sandwich things)
  • Pozole (like... soup with... stuff?)
  • Mexican Pizza
  • American Pizza (thanks, Hno. Santiago Pech)
  • AGUAS DE SABOR
  • Calgos (soups)
  • Canchas (the bread they drive around selling out the backs of their cars)
  • Pastel de tres leches
Things I have neutral or slightly negative feelings for (de verdad, I haven´t hated anything I´ve eaten):
  • Chapulines (just.... look it up)
  • Chiles Rellenos
  • Agua de Jamaica.
------------------------------------------------


 
Love you all,
 
Elder Carson.
 
 
La Guadalupana... She´s a God thingy?? I don´t understand it yet.
 
You can play I Spy in the stores.
 
I think this dude´s famous (the one on the wall, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment