Monday, December 5, 2016

Week 2 in the Field, Yo

Mis amados amigos, 

I have way too much to write for the time I have, so we´re going to have to shave it thin today and save the rest for dinner table conversation in two years. You can hold me to that. 

LECCION 1: Would the Lord send a general authority to some random stake in Cancun to console a newbie elder who´s feeling a tidbit overwhelmed?? Apparently, the answer is yes. We had a conference with Elder Pieper, President over all of Mexico in the church, and he gave us great advice about sticking to CORRECT PRINCIPLES and ditching opinion-matter when we teach. Afterwards, he chose a handful of elders to interview personally, and I was one of them!! Wow, I needed his council. He sat me down for a short get-to-know-you session. He listened to my concerns and worries, and assured me that I am doing great for a guy with two weeks under his belt in the field. It was a short meeting, for sure - the dude´s busy - but I´m positive it was heaven-sent. I was feeling overwhelmed, and after that meeting, I was almost completely at peace with my situation as a missionary. 

LECCION 2: Don´t shut out the shut-outs. Please. We visited Miguel a second time (the one without legs), and talked to him about his life. We shared a brief message, but mostly we were just trying to get to know him. At one point, he pulled out his old, beat up guitar an played us a BEAUTIFUL mexican ballad. Turns out, he´s got an amazing voice. We sang along as best as we could, enjoying his talent in his quiet (and tiny) little corner of the universe. Just goes to show that everybody is special, and when you take the time to realize that, you´re left with these wonderful memories and relationships.

-----

I´m gonna cut the lessons short today. Sorry guys. Time budgeting is a thing and I´ve got like ten minutes. I´ve been asked to include a few day-to-day details, because I tend to wax a little philisophical and leave out names and places and other things that you want to  know.

  • We´re teaching these two kids named Pablo and Julian. They like to skate. We joke around and treat them like pals because that´s how they relate. They seem super enthusiastic to learn about the Gospel, which is awesome, of course. I don´t know how many youth in America want to sit down and deliberately talk about religion. X)
  • We found a guy named Miguel Angel (different Miguel) and, before our first appointment, he read to JACOB in the Book of Mormon, which is more than the members will do a lot of times!! Haha. Seriously, this is what they mean when they say our job is to look for the CHOSEN ones. 
  • We set up an appointment with a taxista who had a vision....? I wouldn´t be surprised if he was drunk. The people here luuuurve their 5 o´clock. (and their 5:00 is all day). But here´s to hoping.
  • We´re teaching these two little girls named Frida and Rosa to read. Their wonderful spirits, but MAN, they get distracted easily. It´s a good opportunity, though, to learn a little Spanish from their workbooks.  
There´s way more to tell, but alas, the time has come. Like I said, you can interrogate me about it in a couple years if you´d like X) 

Love all of you. Each and every one.

Elder Carson


------
TONS of cool grafitti here - but it bugs my OCD that someone colored the eye of the tiger completely white.... 

Poverty, yo.

Wealth, yo.

Our neybuh-hood.

Our church building. Ward: Chac Mool

Behind the church. Basquetbol. That was this morning. I didn´t know it was possible to sweat so much...

After playing, we all went into this room in the church where the air-conditioning units are. Ahhhhhhhhhh..... I forgot what cold is.

No comments:

Post a Comment