Friday, May 5, 2017

Week 23 in the field!!!

Yo, friends, we got things cookin here in Cancún, literally and spiritually. I hope you guys aren't suffering heat stroke over there in the states!
LECCIÓN DE LA SEMANA: ALWAYS be thankful for what you´ve been given. The message is something that I´d heard before, but every day I´m absorbing it at a deeper level here in México. I was talking with E. Coello, and he described to me life in Honduras. Drug Cartels owned his life. He had to walk where he was allowed to walk, say what he was allowed to say, and hear what he was allowed to hear. Those who failed to do so continue to be killed on a daily basis. And the biggest problem is, NOBODY can do anything about it. The "bad guys" are those who grow up with you. They're your friends from kindergarten, your upstairs neighbor, and even your uncle Juan. You've got to pretend like the evil doesn't exist, or you don't stand a chance.

After hearing that, I reflected on my life in the states. Maybe there were some bad influences, some mistakes, and some hard times, but I NEVER walked the streets fearing for my life. I grew up in a home where my parents loved me and cared for my interests. The blessing of an amazing family extends to my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I've always had friends that support me, and I was educated in good schools. I consider myself among the most fortunate individuals in the whole world.
 ---------------
We had E. Coello's Generation Meeting this week!! It was so interesting to see my Chan-Hijo enjoying the same time with his CCM buddies that I enjoyed not so long ago. At the same time, I spent time with my papi, E. Melena, and participated in a training session from our dear Presidente Reynoso.
THEY CHANGED THE RULES!! We were on our way home one night when the Zone Leaders called us and let us know that now, in ALL of Mexico, investigators only need THREE Sundays attending church to be able to get baptized! TWO, if the bishop knows them and agrees that they are ready. WOOHOO! The news gave us lots of energy and we´re excited to find new investigators at an ever-increasing rate!! :D
PRISILA AND CAROLINA GOT BAPTIZED!!! Who knows why we ended up teaching a bunch of little girls this month, but I was super happy to participate in the process! These two girls come from families where the parents and siblings are less-active, so we also got to help the parents revive their faith and come back to church. Super cool to see all the emotions of the family-members in the baptismal service. I actually had the privilege of baptizing Prisila, personally (but only because she asked me specifically - as a rule, it's better when the Priests do the baptisms)...
We were in a lesson with a less-active couple that needs to get married when a dude arrived to deliver a nice hammock chair. The sister's eyes got wide. "THAT WAS A SURPRISE!" she said, rushing to attend to the paperwork. Her boyfriend's jaw dropped when he saw the chair. I HAVE THE BEST GIRLFRIEND, is what he was probably thinking. The sister returned to the house, but the delivery-man called back, "Hey, I still need the signature of... Enrique Gonzales?" The astonished smile of the boyfriend, Enrique, melted into comic horror, and we all died laughing. Turns out, he had bought himself somethin real nice. "Would you like a pen?" offered Elder Mendoza. "It's for signatures only, brother Enrique, NOT MURDERS."
There's lots of other things I would like to share - tales of forgetting house keys, losing my agenda (missionary's worst nightmare), and getting "blessed" by an evangelical priest - but we'll save it for the autumn of 2018 :)
Love,
Elder Carson

------------------


We have SIX ELDERS in our ward, and E. Jayer had a birthday!!! CHEESECAKE!!!!!

Haha this was the picture RIGHT BEFORE the smiles, but it's the only one E. Coello had on his camera (which I'm using right now because my SD card is wacko).

No comments:

Post a Comment