Monday, May 22, 2017

Week 24 in the field!!!!!

My dearest friends and family, 

Looks like Christmas came early this week! HA I know you all love my letters........ but seriously, PDay is today, and I forgot to tell y'all last week. Kindly excuse the air-headedness. 

It has been a wonderful week of miracles, and despite having to leave a bunch of investigators last month, the prospects for THIS month are looking good. We’ve got several families in which the parents are gonna get married, and the new rules regarding church-attendance have allowed us to continue setting baptismal dates for May 2017. WOOHOO!

LECCIÓN DE LA SEMANA: Specific prayers are the BOMB DOT COM. I remember when Presidente Tenorio of the CCM gave a talk about specific prayers, but this week, as E. Coello and I watched The District (five-star missionary programming), I was reminded how important it is to pray for each of our investigators, specifically. We made it a goal to do so, and also to ask God for help in achieving each and every one of our daily tasks. 

Yesterday, we asked God to guide us to one person (outside of pre-set appointments) that would be ready and desirous to receive the Gospel. That evening, a man flagged us down from his taco-stand and began talking at us excitedly. He presented himself as Jonathan Guzman. He told us that his brothers and sisters are members of the church, and for the longest time he tried to resist, but that his curiosity had led him to speak to us. "Come and visit me! Please!" he begged. 

We arrived at his address, annnd he wasn’t home when we got there, but his NEIGHBOR welcomed us into her house, and we began to teach. She told us that she had been praying to God that he would send her someone to invite her to church. She accepted a baptismal date and went to the Friday-night Ward activities THAT SAME EVENING. Her name is Ligia, and she is wonderful. 

Just after we got done with Ligia, Jonathan arrived, and he welcomed us into his house. We didn’t have time for a lesson, but he told us quickly that he had already finished the pamphlet we gave him and that he wants to attend church. We gifted him a Book of Mormon and set another appointment, promising to pass by on Sunday with a member to help him get to the church building. 

It works, guys. We asked God for one person, and he blessed us with two who are absolutely dying to feel the light of the Gospel in their lives. He’ll help you, too, as you seek to align your desires with His will and demonstrate the faith to ask. 

-------------

We got the news about the transfers, and GUESS WHAT??? I’M STAYYYIINNNGGG!!! WOOOHOOOOO!! I figured President would keep us here, considering the fact that I’m training and all, and to be honest, I’m super happy to continue in Palmas. These people are wonderful, and I’m super excited to work with my friends and family here. 

I had exchanges with Elder Jimenez, my District Leader, and ALL of our appointments fell through! They say that there’s an "exchanges curse" in this mission, and so far, I haven’t seen any evidence to the contrary. Nevertheless, we WERE able to find several potential investigators and set appointments with them. 

- We found a guy who studied at Harvard! It surprised me when he said so. He addressed us really formally and in an overly-dramatic voice, and began to tell tales of the Boston campus. It was funny. 

- We got caught in a storm on our way to an appointment! It was sunny and hot, but all of the sudden the clouds came, and it began to pour BUCKETS. Of course, having predicted a nice, oven-sort of day, I hadn’t brought my umbrella.... we got to the house of the investigator soaking wet; the sister who answered the door looked surprised and said, "hold on just a minute!" and disappeared back into her house.................. "ok, we’ll be right here...." we said. Fun stuff. 

- Ana Camas is progressing again! We had to leave her for a while because she needed to get married and didn’t really want to, but her spouse stopped us in the street on Thursday to ask us about the details of the marriage documents. We called our people, and our people called their people, and eventually we were able to get the hermano the information he needed. Looks like they’re gonna get hitched!   

That’ll be all for this week, folks! Thanks for being such a support to me and my family! I know that God lives and that He’ll answer your specific prayers with specific replies sa you exercise faith in Him! 
Next week I WON’T have PDay, so it’s goodbye until the 15th of May! That rhymed. *Mic-drop*

Elder Carson

----------------------------


When you get drenched for serving the Lord. #worthit

I think my companion took this photo because he admires my shoulder-bag?

THE POWERFUL ELDERS OF PALMAS

No comments:

Post a Comment