Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Week 40 in the field!!!

WOW! That’s 40, everybody. It’s weird living in a time-machine.

LECCIÓN DE LA SEMANA: Baby-feeding is toxic in positions of leadership.

When I arrived to this ward, I noticed a lot of negative feelings that the members had towards their church leadership. They complained that the bishop didn’t do ANYTHING! I even began to believe some of the rumors because they were so prevalent.

This week, I got a little insight into the bishop’s perspective, and it’s actually brilliant. He doesn’t want to do what the auxiliary leaders can do because they need the experience to become more independent.

We held a Talent Show this week, and I was able to see how well the bishop’s theory worked. He deliberately stepped out of the picture, and when the members began to notice the problems ("nobody set up chairs!", "we need a speaker to play music!", etc) THEY began to take initiative and fill in the gaps.

The show was a little rusty, but I count it as a SUCCESS, because I’m absolutely sure that the members learned a valuable lesson from the experience. There’s no doubt in my mind that the next activity will be much slicker, and that these leaders will be more prepared to take part in the work.

------------------------
  • We had a great Family Home Evening where we played a Plan of Salvation board game! I have some pretty creative companions!!
  • Our Zone Conference went well. My companions and I thought of a series of practices that we did with all the missionaries. President was impressed by the presentation we gave, so I count it as a win. :D
  • I gave Alejandro, our young investigator, homework - he was supposed to read the first chapter of first Nephi (but only the "small" verses because the big ones scare him). When we arrived, he had conquered the fear and read ALL of first Nephi!!! What a stud!!
  • We gave a training to all of the Primary Presidencies of the stake. It was a lot of fun. We tried to incorporate dynamic experiences so that the Presidents and their counselors would catch the "mission-fever" and get excited about the work. With that training, they’re going to do an activity with the kids, teaching them how to be missionaries and giving them the chance to share their knowledge and testimony with REAL investigators!!!
  • We did a service project for one one mother that was one the verge of giving her son permission to get baptized. We cleaned her yard and moved a giant cement water-tank into a hole in the ground. At the end of it all, she gave us empanadas (mega-yum) and signed the paperwork, giving her approval!


Thanks for tuning in, friends! I hope you all have a wonderful week. I want to let you all know that I know this Gospel is true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the only true church upon the earth, and it is only through her founder, Jesus Christ himself, that we can come to live with God and our families in the next life. May we all be valiant in the faith.

Hugs,

Elder Carson

----------------------------

COOL TOYS :D

COOL TOYS :D

Our zone! (Serious edition)

Our zone! (too-real edition).

We go forth in pairs, combatting evil with light and an invisible force. Would it be too much to say that we´re Jedi?? (I stole the sword from the last sith I slayed).

Sun-burnt but happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment