Sunday, October 22, 2017

Year 2, Week 2

Howdy yall!

Things are gettin WEIRD here! I had begun to think that I was Zone Leader of the Twilight Zone.

LECCIÓN DE LA SEMANA: Opposition is real, folks. That’s what I have to say. Allow me to list some strange occurrences that have (coincidentally?) preceded our six-person baptismal service today:
  • Some elders saw demons in their house and we had to go rescue the two of them at 1:00am with President’s first councilor (who lives close to us).
  • Yesterday morning, other elders woke up to find their house flooded to KNEE LEVEL.... it hardly even rained that day....
  • Several elders and sisters suddenly got sick.
  • Some loco started calling the sister missionaries and making threats.
The adversary works hard to make sure we don’t have success in this work, but I have a testimony that light ALWAYS conquers dark, and that when we stand with God, nothing can stop us from succeeding.

----------------------------------

More questions, because that was fun :D

Q: What have you learned about Mexican culture that you think is really interesting?
A: They don’t shy away from expressing their thoughts. It’s funny (and endearing) when they say things like, "not to brag, but I’m basically the best chef here in this neighborhood," or, "which one of your companions are we talking about, the chubby one or the one who looks like skin and bones?"  And nobody gets offended!

Q: What have you learned to live without?
A: Tech. The mission is the best Facebook there is, because we see more faces and read more books than ANYONE :D That, and the mountains. I always used them (and Siri) to help me with my terrible sense of direction.

Q: How have your social skills developed?
A: I’m not afraid of talking to people or expressing an opinion that might not be popular. I ENJOY being social. I’m more direct when something needs to be done. I’ve learned to be more humble and trust the judgment of others (when the situation is appropriate). I embrace the idea of making decisions based on correct principles. I talk openly with President and with my companions about problems. Among other little things. I’m still an awkward turtle with phone calls.

Q: What does a typical day as a zone leader look like?
A: It’s more improv! We do our planning as normal, but then the elders and sisters start calling us and we have to go on splits and do 3 things at once. Lots of technical problems come out of the woodwork (things I talked about above) and we have to communicate a lot of stuff to the assistents and to President. We end the day talking with the District Leaders about the challenges they’re facing and how we can help them, etc. In short: more craziness.

Q: What  do you do for fun or to just relax and destress on a daily basis?
A: I bought a giant new journal with blank pages (instead of lines). I’ve been combining my love for doodling with my somewhat-obsessive need to reflect in 4K-clarity the mission experience in a journal, and those 10-15 per day prove critical for my sanity. :)

Keep sending questions! I love knowing what you want to know!! There are so many things that happen in the field, it’s hard to keep track until someone reminds me!! I love you all and hope you have an excellent 9 days beating the adversary and achieving your goals.

Love,
Elder Carson


---------------------






No comments:

Post a Comment