Monday, October 30, 2017

Year 2, Week 3

I’m alive!!

That’s something to be very grateful for. I’m proud to say that I’ve put "calender-watching" behind me, and I’ve come to deeply appreciate every day of my mission. No two days are alike - when we follow the promptings of the Spirit, He guides us to new places and new people who need the light of the Gospel.

I liked this quote from Elder Holland:


I feel small, sometimes, when I think of what God and my Mission President expect of me, but I know that by doing everything I can and relying on the Savior, He will transform me and make me capable of the task at hand.

-----------------------------

Economic / cultural questions! :D

Q: How do most people live where you are? Is there much affluence? Poverty?
A: There are many people who can’t afford to put their kids in school. That’s the most notable thing for me, because it’s a destructive cycle - without an education, it will be much harder for the kids to put THEIR kids in school, and so on throughout the generations.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people who obviously have a lot more than I ever did, despite economic differences between America and Mexico. Where I live is like the "California" of Mexico - everyone comes to start their business and find their niche.

Q: How are homes different in Mexico versus Other places you have lived?
A: I feel "one" with the jungle in my home here. I have four walls, but I don’t feel insulated from nature like I do in the states. Everything is cement, there are cockroaches, and in a flood, the water would easily enter the house and bring garbage/dirt with it.
BUT if we think in terms of what really makes a home home, things are excellent. The members are loving and the family is everything to them.

Q: Have your "American" views changed in light of living outside of your own culture?
A: I have lost my appetite for "things", really. I don’t care much about having a big house or a big lawn anymore - I’ve seen how these people get along, and it makes me realize that humility brings out the best in people. My career will be more focused on what I want to learn and accomplish in the world rather than "making it big".

Love,

Elder Carson


--------------------------------

Hna. Amparo - she was doubting her baptismal date just one week before, but we had an excellent lesson with the her and the Ward Mission Leader that convinced her.

Lil´ Fernando. The kid´s smarter than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment